RN to BSN Completion Program to begin Fall 2013
At Georgia Highlands College you can advance your career by earning your bachelor's degree in nursing. The RN-BSN Completion Program is offered completely online so you will be able to continue working while going to school. The program can be completed in as little as three consecutive semesters full-time or four semesters part-time. You will be required to come to an Orientation session once in the summer.
The application process is competitive and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 out of 4.0 is required for consideration. Acceptance is based on cumulative GPA, completed application and supporting materials (GA license, verification of employment, and references), acceptance to GHC, and a satisfactory personal interview with the RN-BSN faculty.
I. Admission to Georgia Highlands College
Submit the following materials to the Admissions office:
- Completed Georgia Highlands College application or application for readmission.
- If applying for initial admission to GHC, must submit a $20 non-refundable application fee made out to Georgia Highlands College, a copy of your high-school transcript and official transcripts from any college(s) previously attended.
- If applying for readmission, you must submit official transcripts from any college(s) you attended since last attending GHC.
Please download these documents, save to your computer, and complete the forms to submit with your application packet materials:
II. Acceptance to the RN-BSN Program
Submit application and supporting materials to the Admissions office on the Floyd Campus by March 31st for fall admission.
- Completed RN-BSN application.
- A current valid license to practice nursing in the state of Georgia with no current disciplinary actions.
- Graduation in the last four years from a program with accreditation from the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education; or
- Graduation more than four years ago from a program with ACEN or CCNE accreditation, plus documentation of at least 1000 hours of clinical practice within the last three years.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 in the required general academic courses, and a grade of C or better in BIOL 2121K, 2122K, and 2161K; ENGL 1101 and 1102; MATH 1001 or 1111; and MATH 2200.
- A current resumé.
- A $20 non-refundable nursing application fee made out to Georgia Highlands College.
* To be admitted for full-time study, you should not lack more than three (3) prerequi
- ENGL 1101 English Composition I
- ENGL 1102 English Composition II
- MATH 1001 Quantitative Skills and Reasoning, MATH 1111 College Algebra*, or MATH 1113 Precalculus
- MATH 2200 Elementary Statistics
- COMM 1100 Human Communications* or COMM 1110 Public Speaking
- FCCS 1100 Freshman College Computer Studies*, IDIS 1000 Social and Cultural Issues, IDIS 1101 Social and Cultural Issues, or NSCI 1100 Science in Today's World
- A literature course (can be American, British, or World Literature)
- A humanities elective
- A science sequence: CHEM 1151K and 1152K Survey of Chemistry I & II*, CHEM 1211K and 1212K Principles of Chemistry I & II, or BIOL 1010K Introductory Biology and BIOL 2190 Principles of Nutrition
- POLS 1101 American Government
- HIST 2111 American History I or HIST 2112 American History II
- Western or World Civilization: HIST 1111, HIST 1112, HIST 1121, or HIST 1122
- PSYC 1101 Introduction to General Psychology
- PSYC 2103 Human Growth and Development
- SOCI 1101 Introductory Sociology
- BIOL 2121K Anatomy & Physiology I
- BIOL 2122K Anatomy & Physiology II
- BIOL 2161K Medical Microbiology
* Preferred courses
- NURS 1101 Fundamentals of Nursing Practice**
- NURS 1102 Care of Children and the Childbearing Family**
- NURS 2204 Adult Health Nursing**
- NURS 2205 Comprehensive Nursing**
** Georgia Highlands College participates in Georgia's RN-BSN Articulation Plan. See below.
- NURS 3301 Concepts of Professional Nursing
- NURS 3302 Health Assessment
- NURS 3303 Nursing Perspectives of Historical and Political Issues
- NURS 3304 Foundations of Nursing Research
- A Nursing elective
- NURS 4401 Community Health Nursing
- NURS 4402 Leadership and Management
- NURS 4403 Clinical Research Project
- NURS 4404 Clinical Leadership Practicum
Georgia's RN-BSN Articulation Plan
Georgia Highlands College participates in the statewide articulation plan that streamlines getting into an accredited RN-BSN program in nursing. The plan was developed through the collaborative efforts of faculty of the ASN and BSN nursing programs in Georgia and the Georgia Board of Nursing. To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a graduate of an accredited ASN or diploma program within the last four years, or be a graduate from one of these programs for more than four years ago with documentation of 1,000 hours of clinical nursing practice in the last three years.
- Hold a current, valid RN license to practice in Georgia.
Graduates of ASN programs who meet the above criteria will be granted credit by transfer of 20 semester hours and credit by exam for 16 semester hours. Graduates of diploma programs who meet the above criteria will be granted credit by exam for 36 semester hours. The credit-by-exam hours will be earned by satisfactorily completing NURS 3301 Concepts of Professional Nursing.
RN-BSN Student Handbook
The Georgia Highlands College Nursing Department has prepared this handbook to inform the RN-BSN students of the policies and guidelines specific to this online nursing program. This handbook is a supplement to the Georgia Highlands College catalog, which covers the general institutional policies as they relate to all students. It is the responsibility of each nursing student to review the handbook independently and to refer to it as needed during his/her enrollment in the nursing program. All statements in the RN-BSN Nursing Student Handbook or announcements of present nursing program policies are subject to change at any time without notice. Changes will be posted on this web site.